Crostini, Italian for ‘little toast’, are a must for any dinner party. Simple to make and a delight to eat, crostini can be paired with a wide variety of toppings and flavours. In this revamped version the crunchy base is complemented by a fresh, minty pea mousse and a sweet touch of foamy passion fruit which will take your taste buds on a culinary rollercoaster ride.
- 1 baguette or ciabatta bread
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 135 g frozen peas
- 1⁄2 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 8 g mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 50 g soft goat cheese (chevre)
- 50 ml of heavy cream
- Juice of 1⁄2 a lime
- 200 ml passion fruit concentrate
- 1⁄8 tsp xanthan gum (vegan thickening agent)
- 2 1⁄2 tsp powdered sugar
- A handful of ice cubes
- Pea shoots to garnish
- Salt and pepper
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Cut the baguette or ciabatta into ten 5 cm thick slices. Place the sliced bread on a lined baking tray, brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt on each slice. Place the crostini in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until golden. Then, remove the crostini from the oven and set them aside to cool down.
- Bring 1 litre of water to a boil and add the peas to blanch for approximately 4 minutes. Rinse the peas in a sieve under cold water, place the sieve in a bowl of iced water and set the bowl aside for 2-3 minutes.
- In a food processor, add the finely chopped garlic, mint leaves, lime juice and goat cheese. Drain the peas from the ice bath and set a hand-full aside for garnishing (approximately 10 g). Add the remainder of peas into the food processor and blend the ingredients until smooth. Place the mixture in a separate bowl, add the heavy cream, and fold it through with a whisk. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully pour the pea/mint mixture into the whipped cream dispenser, connect your Smartwhip and charge it with 15 bar. Detach the cream dispenser and shake it for approximately 10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then set it aside for 10 minutes.
- In a small dry bowl, add the xanthan gum powder and 1/16 tsp of powdered sugar (half of the amount of xanthan gum). Mix the ingredients well and set the bowl aside.
- Pour the passion fruit concentrate into a measuring cup and add the remaining powdered sugar. Mix the ingredients well and set the bowl aside.
- Place the cooled crostini on a serving platter or board. Take the cream dispenser with the pea/mint mixture and shake it for another 10 seconds. Squirt the pea/mint mixture onto the crostini and spread the mousse evenly using a spoon.
- Wash the cream dispenser and nozzle with warm water and dishwashing soap, then rinse the device with cold water. Dry off any excess water before the next usage.
- Add the passion fruit extract to the xanthan gum mixture and whisk the ingredients together. There might be a few lumps, but this does not affect the outcome of the foam. Pour the mixture into the cream dispenser, screw the lid on, attach your Smartwhip and charge it with 15 bar. Detach the cream dispenser and shake it for approximately 10 seconds, then set the dispenser aside for 10 minutes.
Coat the crostini with a layer of pea mousse and release the passion fruit foam on top without covering the mousse entirely. Garnish the crostini with a few spare peas and pea shoots, and your crostini are ready to be served!