Originating in Peru – where it is considered a national dish – ceviche is a very palatable way to macerate raw fish. By marinating the fish in citrus spiced with ají, serrano or jalapeño peppers, which breaks down the fish’s protein fibres, you can achieve a smooth and silky mouthfeel without altering the natural flavour of the fish. Similar to the principle of rapid infusion, marinating the fish with a cream charger doesn’t only deliver quicker results, it also allows the marinade to penetrate the meat deeper than otherwise possible, intensifying the flavour and tenderising the meat.
- 400 g white fish filet (sea bass, tilapia or mahi-mahi),
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- 50 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ají, serrano or jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 100 g romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado (optional)
- Flatbread (optional)
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Slice the fish filet into ¼-inch thin strips and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- Briefly combine the spring onions, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and your pepper of choice in a bowl. Add the sliced fish into the bowl and combine the ceviche ingredients well.
- Pour half of the ceviche into one siphon and, if available, the other half into a second siphon. Connect your Smartwhip to the siphon and charge it to 15 bar. Disconnect your Smartwhip, shake the siphon to evenly distribute the gas, place the cap back on the siphon and place the siphon in the fridge for 1-2 hours to allow the ceviche to marinade. Repeat the same process with the second siphon.
- When the marinating time has passed, remove the cap, place a nozzle on the head of the siphon and quickly vent by holding the siphon upright and pressing the lever to release the built-up gas completely. Repeat the process with both siphons.
Tip: Hold a bowl above the siphon nozzle to catch any liquid that might spray out.
- Remove the lid of the siphon and place the marinated ceviche in a bowl. You might hear a quiet sizzling sound – this is the sound of the gas bubbles bursting. Allow the bubbles, which are packed with flavour, to burst for 1-2 minutes to achieve maximum flavour.
Line a serving platter or four individual plates with romaine lettuce and delicately place the ceviche on top. The ceviche works well as both a starter and a main dish, and pairs perfectly with avocado and a side of grilled flatbread.
Are you interested in acquiring Smartwhip for your professional kitchen? Buy the complete Smartwhip system here!