Creamed corn soup is a hearty meal suitable to serve during both the hotter and colder seasons. Exceptionally creamy from the sweet corn, buttermilk and cheddar cheese, the soup has a velvety texture and an intense corn flavour. Accompanied by an irresistible savoury, smoky bacon espuma, this corn soup is one for the books.
- Smartwhip cream charger
- Frying pan
- Paper towels
- Medium-sized saucepan
Corn Soup Ingredients
- 400 g fresh sweet corn, kernels removed
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 litre of vegetable broth
- ½ tsp crushed pepper
- 240 ml buttermilk
- 100 g mild cheddar cheese
Bacon Espuma Ingredients
- 3 rashers of bacon
- 240 ml of heavy cream
- 1⁄8 tsp xanthan gum
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Begin preparing the bacon espuma by frying all seven bacon rashers in a skillet until they become crisp and most of the fat has rendered from the meat.
- In a separate saucepan, gently heat the heavy cream over low heat.
- Once the bacon strips are crisp, allow them to cool on a plate lined with paper towels. Reserve about one tablespoon of the bacon oil for the creamed corn soup.
- Once the bacon is sufficiently cooled, crumble four rashers into small pieces and set them aside.
- Crumble the remaining three bacon rashers into the saucepan with the heavy cream, add in the xanthan gum, then remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the bacon to seep in the cream for approximately 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the bacon oil into a medium-sized saucepan and fry the shallots over low-medium heat until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the corn kernels to the pan and briefly fry them with the shallots, then add the vegetable broth, salt and pepper to your taste and combine everything thoroughly. Simmer the mixture over medium heat for 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat of the soup until it is no longer boiling, then add the buttermilk and cheese. When the cheese has melted, and the ingredients are well combined, remove the pan from the heat.
- Blend the corn soup until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Finally, return to your bacon espuma. When the indicated time has passed, add a pinch of salt and pepper to the creamy bacon mixture, whisk everything together, and strain the mixture into a siphon. Connect your Smartwhip to the siphon and charge it to 15 bar. Disconnect your siphon and shake it for 10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas.
Ladle the creamed corn soup into six bowls and release a generous amount of the creamy bacon espuma on top. Finalise the presentation by sprinkling a few pieces of crumbled bacon on the foam, and the soup is ready to be served!
Are you looking to dabble in the field of molecular gastronomy? Then explore our assortment of recipes created by chefs, for chefs.