Hearty, warming and above all comforting, pumpkin soup is a classic winter staple. While there are innumerable recipes out there, aerating the soup with a nitrous oxide cream charger gives it a lighter structure without compromising the intensity of flavours. Give it a go or use this technique with your signature pumpkin soup recipe.
- 180 g pumpkin, peeled and deseeded
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 100 ml heavy cream
- 15 g butter
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- A dash of Tabasco
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pumpkin seeds for garnishing
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Boil or roast the pumpkin until it is thoroughly softened, then blend it to create a puree.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, fry the shallot and garlic in the butter until they become golden brown. Subsequently add the pumpkin puree and vegetable stock, and season according to your taste. Stir the soup well and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and a dash of tabasco, stirring continuously. Allow the soup to simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- When the indicated time has passed, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Using a funnel, sieve the pumpkin soup into a cream dispenser, connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 17 bar. Detach your Smartwhip and shake the cream dispenser for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas (use a cloth or oven mittens to shake the cream dispenser as the metal may become hot).
- The soup is ready to be served immediately and can be kept in a water bath to remain warm throughout the service.
Garnish your pumpkin soup with a couple of pumpkin seeds and serve it with a side of roasted garlic bread.