It’s no news that bubble tea (babo) is a major hit in Thailand. The pearly drink can be found around basically every corner in a rainbow of flavours; everything from honeydew melon to matcha green tea and caramel-pudding-flavoured babo is a go. In this Thai-inspired bubble tea, the classic milky-brown babo we know and love has been revitalised with a subtle touch of lychee foam.
- 200 ml of water
- 100 ml full-fat milk
- 100 ml whipped cream
- 30 g Thai tea mix
- 60 g tapioca pearls
- 80 g white sugar
- 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 6 – 10 lychees or 50 ml lychee juice
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Bring 1 litre of water to a boil and pour the boiling water onto the Thai tea mix. Let it steep for approximately 10 minutes.
- Strain the brew to remove the loose tea mix and add 20 g of sugar, the milk, the condensed milk and half of the whipped cream.
- Strain the tea mixture into your siphon and allow the tea to cool down to room temperature. Allow the tea mixture to chill in the fridge.
- For the tapioca pearls, bring 6-8 cups of water to a boil. When the water is boiling, add the tapioca pearls and allow them to cook for 10-15 minutes or until they are very soft.
- While the tapioca pearls are cooking, prepare a simple syrup by heating 50 ml of water and 50 g of sugar in a pan until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Once the tapioca pearls are ready, drain the water and immerse the pearls in the syrup until they are ready to be used.
- Squeeze the lychee fruits out of their shell and collect the juice. Combine the fresh or ready-made lychee juice in a pan along with the remaining whipped cream. Slightly heat the mixture to combine the ingredients (do not let it boil!).
- Retrieve the tea brew in the siphon from the refrigerator, connect it to your Smartwhip and charge it to 10 bar.
Add approximately half of softened tapioca pearls to each glass. Gently squeeze the lever of the siphon to release the tea onto the tapioca pearls. Clean and thoroughly dry the cream dispenser before adding in your lychee solution. Connect the cream dispenser to your Smartwhip and charge it to 15 bar to top off your bubble tea with a touch of lychee-flavoured whipped cream. Et voilà! The bubble tea is ready to be served.