A hot and foamy pea soup is a godsend on a chilly winter evening. Rich in protein from the peas and egg whites, after being aerated with a cream charger, the soup obtains an irresistible velvety texture. Served with a side of silky eggs cooked in the sous vide machine to sheer perfection, and a savoury garnish of roasted ham pieces, this nourishing pea soup will warm you up from the inside.
Pea Soup Ingredients
- 300 g frozen peas
- 100 g fresh peppermint leaves, blanched
- 3 gelatin sheets
- 2 g xanthan gum
- 500 ml of cold water
- 30 g inverted sugar syrup or honey
- 1 g citric acid
- 130 g egg whites
- 5 g cooked ham
Pea Soup Directions
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Boil the peas in a saucepan for 4 minutes, then cool them down in an ice bath.
- In the meantime, place the gelatin sheets in a cup of cold water for approximately 5 minutes to hydrate them.
- Place the peas in a blender and blend them together with the blanched peppermint leaves and 500 ml of cold water.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl through a fine sieve, then add in the hydrated gelatin sheets, the inverted sugar syrup or honey, the citric acid and the xanthan gum.
- Briefly whisk the ingredients together, then pour them back into the blender and blend the ingredients well until you achieve a smooth consistency.
- Strain the concoction into a siphon using a fine-mesh strainer, connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 7 bar. Disconnect your siphon, place the cap back on and shake it for 10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas.
- Place the siphon in a water bath heated to 60°C. There, the pea soup will remain warm throughout the service.
- Sous vide the eggs in a water bath heated to 64°C for 45 minutes to achieve a silky consistency.
- Roast the ham in the oven for 10 minutes at 180°C.
Release the pea soup into a bowl and sprinkle a few broken-up pieces of roasted ham on top. Serve the soup with a side of silky-smooth eggs garnished with a few drops of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.