Whether you’re dressing tender greens in a tangy mustard emulsion, rubbing a mustard marinade into the leg of a lamb, or cutting through the thickness of potatoes, mustard packs quite a punch – and this mustard foam is no different. Softened by the addition of cream and butter, the mustard foam highlights the sharp, tangy flavour of Dijon mustard without overpowering the dish.
- 90 g Dijon mustard
- 100 g heavy cream (min. 35% fat)
- 275 g full-fat milk
- 30 g flour
- 30 g butter
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Place half of the butter in a saucepan and melt it over low heat. Add in the flour, whisking thoroughly until the mixture is bubbling lightly.
- Gradually add in the milk and heavy cream, whisking continuously to avoid lumps. Allow the mixture to lightly simmer without burning it.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the salt and pepper, nutmeg and Dijon mustard.
- Stir in the remaining butter and, using a hand-held blender, blend the mixture to ensure any lumps are dissolved.
- Strain the mustard foam mixture into a siphon, connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 10 bar. Disconnect your Smartwhip, shake the siphon for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas and place the siphon in a water bath at 70°C to keep it warm throughout the service.
Serve the mustard foam alongside grilled mushrooms and jacket potato. For a more intense, nutty-flavoured mustard foam, infuse the milk with toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds beforehand using the Smartwhip system.