Owing its name to the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, legend has it that the meringue-based dessert was created to pay tribute to the talented dancer after she toured Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s. In any case, it’s certain that, with its crispy exterior and chewy centre, the beloved dessert is the legacy of centuries of indulgence.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400 ml cream
- 500 g mixed berries
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Take a piece of parchment paper and draw a circle with a 23-centimetre diameter in the centre. Place the marked piece of parchment paper on a baking tray and set it aside.
- In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, icing sugar and vanilla extract with a whisk. Add the egg whites and continue to whisk the ingredients for approximately 20 seconds, or until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the mixture into a cream dispenser, connect your Smarwhip, and charge it to 10 bar. Shake the cream dispenser 3-5 times, then set the device aside for 5 minutes to allow the egg whites to become fully aerated.
- When the indicated time has passed, shake the cream dispenser a few more times, then release the mixture into a bowl.
- Release any excess gas before unscrewing the lid, then return the egg white mixture into the cream dispenser. Reconnect your Smartwhip and charge it to 10 bar again. Repeating the charging process will help stiffen the egg whites.
- Release the egg white mixture onto the marked centre of the parchment paper, and spread the mixture out with a spatula leaving a slight dip in the centre and building a slight ridge on the outer rim.
- Place the baking tray inside the preheated oven and bake the pavlova for 1 hour.
- While the pavlova bakes, clean the cream dispenser and thoroughly dry it before adding in the contents for the whipped cream. Connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 13 bar. Disconnect your Smartwhip and shake the cream dispenser 3-5 times depending on your desired consistency, then set it aside or in the fridge until needed.
- When the pavlova is ready, take it out of the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for approximately 10 minutes. The pavlova should have received a light cappuccino colour, with a crispy surface and a chewy centre.
Slide the pavlova onto a serving platter and cover the surface with a layer of whipped cream as desired. Adorn the final product with an assortment of mixed berries, and it is ready to be served!
Visit our selection of delicious dessert recipes created using Smartwhip, and allow yourself to be inspired anew.