Beetroot is a superfood staple that belongs in every vegetable basket. Raw, boiled, pickled or roasted, beetroot is endlessly versatile and lends itself to both sweet and savoury dishes. This recipe transforms the beetroot into a sweet, sticky and deliciously soft wedge. Meanwhile, a tart horseradish foam coupled with a thick flavour of caramelised grapes from the crema di balsamico make an ethereal combination.
Roasted Beetroot Ingredients
- 500 g beetroot
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp crema di balsamico, plus extra to garnish
- 1 cup of croutons
- Salt to taste
- Mustard cress for garnishing
Horseradish Cream Ingredients
- 2 tbsp horseradish, finely grated
- 100 g quark
- 1⁄4 tsp ginger syrup
- 1⁄8 tsp xanthan gum
- Salt to taste
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Peel the beetroots and slice them into equally sized wedges.
- Place the beetroot wedges into a mixing bowl, add the olive oil and salt, and toss the ingredients to evenly coat the beetroot.
- Spread the beetroot out on a lined baking tray and roast the beetroot in the oven for approximately 20 minutes so that they become soft (but not mushy!).
- When the indicated time has passed, remove the tray from the oven, drizzle some crema de balsamico over the roasted beetroot wedges, and toss them around until they are fully coated. Place the tray back in the oven and roast the beetroot for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven, sprinkle some salt over the roasted beetroot wedges and set them aside to cool.
- For the horseradish cream, briefly combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl, then pour the mixture into a cream dispenser. Connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 16 bar. Shake the cream dispenser for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then set it aside for 15 minutes.
- When the indicated time has passed, release the horseradish cream into a serving bowl.
Neatly arrange the roasted beetroot wedges and croutons on a plate and add a few dollops of horseradish cream in the spaces between. Garnish the plate with a few drops of crema di balsamico and some mustard cress.