Whacky as it may sound, the contrasting flavours of watermelon and habanero chilli peppers are surprisingly balanced when paired in the right proportions. Using the principle of rapid infusion, you can extract the hot spice of the habanero chilli without the bitterness of the skin for a rich habanero-infused vodka or tequila cocktail that packs a punch.
- 1 cup diced watermelon
- 2 strips of lime rind
- 1 sliced ring of a habanero chili pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups filtered water
- Vodka or silver tequila (optional)
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Place the watermelon, lime rind, habanero chili, salt and water into a siphon. Connect your Smartwhip and charge it to 17 bar. Detach your Smartwhip, shake the cream dispenser for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then set it aside for 15 minutes to infuse.
- When the indicated time has passed, hold the cream dispenser upright and press the lever to release the pressurised gas completely.
Tip: Hold a bowl above the nozzle of the cream dispenser to catch any liquid that might spray out.
- If desired, pour the vodka or tequila over two cocktail glasses filled with ice (we recommend 1 ounce of vodka or tequila with 3 ounces of infused water).
- When the indicated time has passed, remove the lid of the cream dispenser after venting and strain the watermelon and habanero-infused water into the two cocktail glasses using a fine mesh strainer.
Serve the cocktails with a few small cubes of watermelon and a few fresh mint leaves. The cocktail pairs well with a Greek salad or other feta-based snacks.
This recipe has been adapted from The Cream Right Blog.