Pickled onions are a go-to condiment for adding a tangy touch to dishes without the pungent intensity of raw onions. The pink glow and crisp mouthfeel make pickled onion the ideal supplement to practically all foods: salads, sandwiches, baked potatoes – you name it. And, using the rapid infusion method, the onions can be pickled in no time.
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Briefly combine the lemon juice, vinegar and salt in a bowl, then pour the ingredients into a cream dispenser along with the sliced onions.
- Connect your Smartwhip, charge it to 13 bar, and shake the cream dispenser 3-5 times to evenly distribute the gas. Set the cream dispenser aside for 15 minutes to allow the infusion process to develop.
- When the indicated time has passed, shake the cream dispenser a few more times, then vent the cream dispenser to release the built-up gas completely.
- Screw the lid of the cream dispenser off, and place the pickled onions into a serving bowl or air-tight jar.
The pickled onions are ready to be served immediately, although it is advisable to wait 1-2 minutes until the gas bubbles have disappeared entirely as that will add further flavour. Pickled onions can be served alongside a myriad of dishes, and they can also be prepared using a variety of spices such as chilli flakes, coriander, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and much more!
Explore the ranges of molecular gastronomy and discover what else you can create using the revolutionary Smartwhip system on our recipes page. Are you interested in acquiring Smartwhip for your professional kitchen? Then get in touch!