Pickled onions are a go-to condiment for adding a tangy touch to dishes without the pungent intensity of raw onions. The pink glow and crisp mouthfeel make pickled onion the ideal supplement to practically all foods: salads, sandwiches, baked potatoes – you name it. And, using the rapid infusion method, the onions can be pickled in no time.
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Briefly combine the lemon juice, vinegar and salt in a bowl, then pour the ingredients into a cream dispenser along with the sliced onions.
- Connect your Smartwhip, charge it to 13 bar, and shake the cream dispenser 3-5 times to evenly distribute the gas. Set the cream dispenser aside for 15 minutes to allow the infusion process to develop.
- When the indicated time has passed, shake the cream dispenser a few more times, then vent the cream dispenser to release the built-up gas completely.
- Screw the lid of the cream dispenser off, and place the pickled onions into a serving bowl or air-tight jar.
The pickled onions are ready to be served immediately, although it is advisable to wait 1-2 minutes until the gas bubbles have disappeared entirely as that will add further flavour. Pickled onions can be served alongside a myriad of dishes, and they can also be prepared using a variety of spices such as chilli flakes, coriander, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and much more!