Another Mother’s Day special is this hibiscus-pickled beetroot recipe served on a feta cheese foam. Dried hibiscus, when infused, releases a tart, almost cranberry-like flavour that is the perfect complement to the earthy beetroot flavour. Pickled in an acidic, cinnamon and rose syrup-enhanced brine, the beets are an absolute taste explosion. Served on a cloud of feta foam infused with a hint of coriander seeds and chocolate garnishing, it’s a beautiful dish for any occasion!
Pickled Beetroot Ingredients
- 300 g beetroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 200 ml rose syrup
- 4 g dried hibiscus
- 100 ml vinegar
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 10 g salt
Feta Foam Ingredients
- 300 g whole milk
- 100 g feta cheese
- 3 g coriander seeds
- 10 g Proespuma cold by Sosa
- 2 g xanthan gum
Chocolate Branches Ingredients
- 10 g cocoa powder
- 70 g dark chocolate
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Begin by pickling the beetroots. Mix the rose syrup, vinegar and salt together in a bowl, then pour the contents into a siphon along with the thinly sliced beetroot, hibiscus and cinnamon sticks. If the liquid does not cover the beetroots entirely, use a spoon to push the beetroots down until they are fully covered.
- Connect your siphon to the Smartwhip cream charger and charge it to 17 bar. Disconnect your siphon and shake it for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then place it in the fridge for at least 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the feta foam by blending the milk, feta cheese, Proespuma, xanthan gum and coriander seeds until smooth. Strain the feta foam ingredients into a siphon, connect your Smartwhip cream charger and charge it to 8 bar. Disconnect your siphon and shake it for 5-10 seconds, then allow the feta foam to cool in the fridge for approximately 30 minutes.
- Finally, prepare the chocolate branches by melting the dark chocolate in a hot water bath. Place the melted chocolate in a piping bag and squirt a generous amount into a bowl of ice water. Take the chocolate branches out of the water and sprinkle them with some cocoa powder.
- When the pickled beetroot is ready, vent the siphon before removing the lid.
Tip: Hold a bowl above the siphon nozzle to catch any liquid that might spray out.
Release the feta foam in the centre of your serving plate. Remove the pickled beetroot slices from the siphon and gently form them into the shape of a rose on top of the feta foam. Garnish the dish with a few chocolate branches and a dash of the leftover pickle brine for extra flavour.