For this dessert, Chef Rui went back to his Portuguese roots to enliven the classic tiramisu with the richness of Port wine. The heart and soul of this recipe, Port wine is a sweet, rich, fortified wine typically served as a dessert wine. With this decadent Port-infused tiramisu foam, you get the best of both worlds – fluffy, coffee-flavoured goodness enriched with red berry and cinnamon-like flavours. To bring it all together, Rui recommends garnishing the tiramisu foam with some ladyfingers, a Port wine reduction and a delicate coffee-Port wine mist.
Tiramisu Foam Ingredients (for a 1-litre siphon)
- 2 eggs
- 75 g sugar
- 500 g mascarpone
- 110 ml Port wine
- 25 g whole milk
- 2 g gelatin sheets (180 bloom)
Tiramisu Base Ingredients
- 10 sponge fingers (1 p.p.)
- 655 ml Port wine
- 50 g sugar
- 50ml espresso coffee (cooled)
- Cocoa powder for dusting
To ensure a smooth cooking experience, please read the Smartwhip care and safety guidelines before usage.
- Cut the gelatin sheets into small pieces.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan, then hydrate the cut-up gelatin sheets over low heat (approximately 45 ºC) until they dissolve fully.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, mascarpone and Port wine together.
- Sieve the tiramisu foam mixture into a siphon using a fine-mesh strainer, connect your Smartwhip cream charger and charge it to 8 bar. Disconnect the siphon, shake it for 5-10 seconds to evenly distribute the gas, then cool it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- For the Port wine reduction, pour 600 ml of the wine into a small saucepan, add the sugar and allow the contents to simmer until about ¾ of the total volume remains. Remove the saucepan from the heat, then add 25 ml of fresh Port wine to the mixture.
- Finally, prepare the coffee-Port wine mist by mixing the remaining 30 ml of Port wine with the cooled espresso coffee. Pour the mixture into an atomiser and serve.
Place one ladyfinger on each plate. Spray the ladyfingers with a few pumps of the coffee-Port mist, then release four generous dollops of the tiramisu foam on top of the coated ladyfingers. Finally, sprinkle some cocoa powder on top of the tiramisu foam using a fine-mesh sieve and garnish the dessert with a few drops of the Port wine reduction.