The classic gin and tonic cocktail has been a popular drink for centuries, and it’s no wonder why. The mixture of the sharp taste of gin with the refreshing bubbles of tonic water is just perfect on a hot summer day. There are already many ways to enjoy this classic cocktail, but we had to make one more. What sets this one apart is the fact that we used an innovative twist through the method of spherification. The gin and tonic are mixed with sodium alginate, which creates a gel layer on the outside of the sphere. This allows you to enjoy your gin and tonics in their purest form! Gin and Tonic spheres will be your new favourite way to imbibe this delicious beverage.
- 160 ml of tonic water
- 10 ml of gin
- 60 ml of sugar water
- 2 drops of bitter or other aromatic
- 1 g of xanthan gum
- 3.5 g of calcium lactate gluconate
- 2.5 g alginate
- 500ml filtered water
Um einen reibungslosen Ablauf beim Kochen zu gewährleisten, lesen Sie bitte die Smartwhip Pflege und Sicherheit Richtlinien vor der Verwendung.
- Prepare the Alginate bath by adding 500ml of filtered water to a blender and gradually add the indicated amount of sodium alginate. Blend until no clumps remain and strain into a large bowl.
- Let it sit for a while to lose any air bubbles.
- Using a blender, blend your tonic, gin, sweet water and aromatics with xanthan gum and calcium lactate gluconate; this mixture should not be too liquid otherwise it will not form spheres well. If necessary add more xanthan/tonic to adjust the viscosity of the solution. Then leave the mixture to rest.
- To create the spheres, pour portions of the gin and tonic preparation in a spherical spoon, pouring close to the surface of an alginate solution.
- Leave the spheres in the solution for about 3 minutes (the residence time will determine the thickness of the gel layer on the outside, adapt to taste and so that they are resistant).
- Rinse the spheres in tonic water and place them in a siphon.
- Connect your Smartwhip to the siphon and charge it to 5 bars (this will keep them fresh).
- Disconnect your Smartwhip and place the siphon in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When the indicated time has passed, vent the siphon to release the built-up gas completely.
- Unscrew the lid of the siphon and pour the gin and tonic spheres into a bowl.
Serve the gin and tonic spheres on their own in canapé dishes. You can garnish the spheres with a sprig of mint.
Kaufen Sie das komplette Smartwhip-System hier! Give this recipe a try and let us know how yours turned out.